Monday, November 17, 2008

what is meant by 'mind'?

What does the word ‘mind’ denote?
What do we mean when we say ‘mind’? Generally, the word is used to denote any or all of the functions of the brain. There are several aspects of the functions of the brain referred to by this word vaguely creating confusion in communication. We have memory, intellect, the feeling of ‘I’ness’ without ego, the ego with feeling of importance, awareness, consciousness, conscience etc.
‘Memory’ is information, records of things, events, feelings, emotions.
‘Intellect’ is reasoning, logic, capacity to measure, calculate
‘conscience’ is the part that has a settled feeling of conclusions, or unsettled feeling of doubt, or skepticism.
‘ego’ refers to the part which feels self importance
‘I’ness is the simple feeling of ‘I’ without any feeling of importance
‘awareness’ in its pure form is, I feel, attention without an object to be attentive about.
While communicating with others it seems necessary to distinguish these suggestively in order to avoid misunderstanding, unless I am referring to all of these together.
When I say that my mind is quiet, what I mean is that all aspects of the mind are dormant and none is active, although alert.

No comments: