Sunday, February 22, 2009

going 'deeper and deeper'

My memory and my thoughts are in my mind, meaning my head. I don’t think with my hands or legs or by any other organ. Therefore I have a general notion that whenever I go ‘deeper and deeper’ into my mind, I am entering further and further inside my head. Can this notion be correct?
No. When my thought processes are slowly subdued and the mind is silent I feel the alert attention, not in the mind or head alone, but all through my body. The nervous system as a whole is in alert attention. The core of the awareness is not, as I imagined, at a single point in the head. Neither is it in the heart. Nor in the solar plexus. One can of course imagine that it is in one of these places, and he can feel it there. It can be imagined to be at any point in the whole body. Therefore the conclusion is that the attention/awareness is spread all through the body. And it can also be imagined to be at any point in space!
Going deeper into the mind is therefore not going into one’s head or memory, but directing one’s attention to whatever arises from all the recesses of the subconscious in the entire mental space.
Now, what is behind this attention awareness when it is with no thoughts to be aware of? What makes it tick? Is it at any single point, or spread through all space and time?
I stay with the question.

No comments: