Sunday, May 18, 2008

faith pushes to goal

* * * * * * * * * *
I have a theory, or rather a hunch that needs to be proved to be convincing. It is, that
Faith pushes one to move without conscious effort towards the goal one cherishes.
This is perhaps why prayers seem to get answered, and offerings to the Holy are found to be fruitful. The actual result depends upon the degree or intensity of the faith.
I can offer an example.
I was to retire on the 28th of February 1985, while working as a presenting officer for the Govt. in the Excise and Customs Tribunal. I had decided to set up practice before the tribunal after retirement, and by the middle of Feb, I was naturally very anxious and worried as to who will have enough confidence to engage me to argue their cases. I had mentally decided that I shall surrender the fees that I get for my first appearance as offering to my favorite deity Mookambika for which I shall visit Kollur at the first opportunity.
Around fifteenth of Feb I chanced to meet, Mr.Mehta of M/s Rallis India on the corridors of the Tribunal and casually said ‘hallo!’ as I used to know him while working in the Department dealing with export incentives. He just stopped and said that they are looking for someone competent to appear before the tribunal “B Bench” dealing with machinery, and whether I can suggest somebody. I said, half in jest, ‘sorry, I am not yet retired; or else I could have myself taken up the case’ and added, ‘unfortunately I am retiring only on 28th of this month’. He said it was fine as the case was to come up only in the second week of March. We agreed for a reasonable amount as fee. I appeared in the case, we won in our arguments, the judgment got published in the journals, I got my fee check, and on the first opportunity, I visited the Mookambika Temple.
After the first case of this fairly well known company of the time, briefs started pouring in, and a very busy phase in my life started, which lasted for over eight years till I myself put a stop to it, to go home aiming at a quiet peaceful contemplation in Tellicherry.
If you want to, you may believe that Goddess Mookambika blessed me because of my offerings. Or, you may believe that my prayer was answered because I was sincere in my prayer. Or you can believe that my faith worked wonders in me. Or you can believe that an unknown force within me, created by my faith, goaded me with correct timing to make me act as I did to bring success in my attempts. Or you may even say that coincidences do happen in life and we need not attach too much importance to such events.
For me the happenings were very significant and real. God is within you and you invoke it with faith, prayer or offerings.
Can I watch and observe how it works within me? Or if I look, will it refuse to function or disappear altogether like a mirage?

No comments: