Thursday, May 22, 2008

posthumous fame

There is a craving or craze for people to be famous and to be remembered by posterity. To be remembered by the world after a person’s death is considered to be the greatest of all achievements. 'Fame is the spur that clear spirit riseth' etc. - Milton
To be known by a great mass of people for work or achievements in a particular field is fame. But does fame actually matter? On deeper thought and finer analysis I find that fame does not contribute much to a happy living or existence here or hereafter. The boost to one’s ego may create an illusion that fame gives happiness.
Mahatma Gandhi is world famous. What is it to him today that he was famous in his life time, and is still famous now?
I was well known among exporters in the major four cities of India when I was in one of the Export Incentive Departments of the Finance Ministry in the sixties and seventies. I was also well known among the Malayalees of Delhi as the Vice President or the General Secretary of the Delhi Malayalee Association and of the International Kathakali Centre. For two decades I therefore got recognition and advantages, including several foreign trips. After retirement I could also establish a good practice in the Department Tribunals with my contacts.
But what does it matter to me now that I was fairly well known then. The advantages that I got then are the only thing that mattered. Nobody knows me in Delhi now. I was in Madras in the fifties and sixties. Nobody in Madras knows me now. Just like that why should anybody know me in this world when I am gone away from it?
What I am driving at is that being known by people who matter, as well as those who do not matter, is significant only in the sense that one gets certain advantages while one is known. This applies equally to fame.
For those who are no more, fame is irrelevant. It is therefore absurd to desire to be remembered by posterity. Best of creative work is done just for the joy of doing it.

1 comment:

ananth said...

KVK velliachan.

I think that you`re conclusion is the only one that makes sense. It seems cliched to say that fame and money are fleeting things - but in the context of death, and/or several lifetimes, it does seem a pointless excercise to try and be remembered in that way. Even if one does not subscribe to the Asian philosophy of lifetimes and enduring soul, etc, it would only seem a far more pointless excercise!